Wednesday, December 14, 2011

READ: One of Fr. Al's Last Homilies to his Children at Girlstown in Sta. Mesa, Manila


On March 1, 1992, two weeks before the demise of Msgr. Aloysius Schwartz, founder of the congregations of the Sisters of Mary and Brothers of Christ, and the holy priest behind the establishment of Boystowns and Girlstowns, he still managed to offer the sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist and deliver this one of his last homilies to the students of Girlstown in Sta. Mesa, Manila, Philippines.

* * *

The homily this morning will even be briefer than usual. God speaks to us in many ways. One way is through our body. Each day, my body grows weaker and weaker. It is becoming more and more difficult to breathe and to speak. So, God is telling me, “My child, my son, you have done enough. Take it easy. Take a rest for a while.” This is what I intend to do. Someone else will preach these homilies to you and someone else will say Mass for you. Unless God chooses to heal me and restore me to health, I will continue to pray for you, but in the solitude of my room and in the silence of my heart. I will continue to offer, along with my prayer, through Jesus, for you and your intentions, my sacrifices and sufferings.
 
St. Paul writes, “I must make up in my own body the sufferings which are lacking to Christ.” As a priest, I now, in a sense, must make up in my own body, my own flesh and blood, the suffering and pain which is lacking in the body of Jesus.

At the Last Supper, when Jesus said farewell to His disciples, again and again, He spoke of love. He said, "Abide in My love. Dwell in My love." In a word, Jesus is saying, "Love Me as I love you." My little children, my daughters in Christ, I ask you in the name of Jesus, to abide in my love, to remain in my love, to continue to love me as I love you. No doubt in your heart, you are saying, "But Father Al, we do love you!" But what is true love?

True love, as I have said many times before, is not expressed by warm tears, romantic feelings, or sentimental words. True love is in the will, and above all else, true love is obedience. Jesus expresses this sentiment at the Last Supper when He said, "If you love Me, keep my commandments." My little children, my daughters in Christ, if you truly love me, keep , my commandments. Observe what I have told you and follow the spirit of the Sisters of Mary which is the spirit of Christ, the spirit of the Gospels. Obey me for Jesus and obey cheerfully, joyfully, and completely. Obey the rules and regulations of the Sisters of Mary Girlstown and Boystown. Obey my representatives who are the Sisters and the teachers. And if you do this, I will know that you truly love me and that our hearts are united in Jesus.

So that’s it. Let us continue to love each other in Jesus. I express my love for you by constant prayer and by offering for you my little sacrifices and sufferings. You, in turn, express your love for me by your spirit of loving, cheerful, and complete obedience.

Thank you and God bless you! Amen.

* * * 

1 comment:

  1. Nakakaiyak to promise.!
    I love you Father Al!:)

    ReplyDelete